WHAT IS OSTEOARTHRITIS (OA) KNEE BRACING AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
Knee braces are available that are specifically designed to help in the management of OA.
They stabilize the joint, reduce pain and help to build stronger muscles, which allows patients to return to the activities they love. Load redistribution and joint alignment, through a process called “off-loading” or shifting, OA braces relieve pain by redistributing the weight bearing load on the painful or affected compartment of the joint to the healthy or unaffected compartment.
Increased function studies have shown that wearing an OA brace can increase daily function and decrease pain. Patients diagnosed with OA who wear a knee brace will generally feel better in the morning, be more active during the day, and rest more comfortably at night.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM AN OSTEOARTHRITIS (OA) KNEE BRACE
- Braces cannot cure OA and may not be right for everyone. However, it is a viable solution for many people. The ideal candidates are typically active people who are motivated to strengthen their muscles and willing to wear a brace to realize the benefits of this form of treatment.
- Don’t expect a brace to feel good from the start. It may take from a week to a month to get used to how the brace feels on your leg. Be patient. It took a long time for your knee OA to develop.
OA FULLFORCE is DonJoy’s lightest OA knee brace that offloads the affected compartment of the knee while reducing ligament strain, allowing active patients to go more miles with less pain. Reduce ligament strain with 4-Points-of-Leverage clinically show to reduce ACL strain by keeping the knee in a stable position to minimize further cartilage damage. The pain of early OA can get in the way of a healthy lifestyle. Keep moving and staying strong may help prolong the degenerative process of OA.
- Lightweight Comfort – DonJoy’s lightest OA frame provides a snug comfortable fit allowing maximum knee function
- Reduce ligament strain – The 4-Points-of-Leverage™ is clinically shown to reduce ACL strain by keeping the knee in a stable position to minimize further cartilage damage
- Minimize pain – The adjustable system shifts the painful joint loads from the degenerative compartment to the healthy compartment. 4 degrees of correction is built into the frame while the hinge allows the ability to fine tune the load.